Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Small Victory

Although it was many moons ago that we all lined up at the field at Sutton Middle School to start our fitness test--running 1 mile--I remember it vividly. Everyone took off running so I took off too. Unfortunately I didn't make it very far running. I ended up walking most of the mile (how embarrassing). I have always been a pretty healthy person and into sports, but running just hasn't ever worked for me--even as a kid. As an adult I have been into exercise (most of the time) and have even completed the Avon Breast Cancer 3 Day walk twice--60 miles over 3 days! Walking, kickboxing, step aerobics I have loved, but running just has never worked for me.

Last week I decided to go for a walk in Central Park because it one of those perfect spring days. When I reached the reservoir (1.58 loop), I got a wild hair and decided to run thinking I would only go a little ways. Well, I made it over halfway around the loop. I was so excited...and determined that one day I would be able to get all the way around running. For those of you who are runners, I am sure you are sitting there laughing at my goal, but keep in mind that I have never been able to run a mile...much less 1.58 miles. I told myself that within two weeks I would be able to get around the loop.

Yesterday was another beautiful spring day in NYC so I decided to head off to Central Park for a walk. When I got to the reservoir I was feeling a bit tired and hungry, but I decided to go for it. A couple of times I wanted to quit because I was tired (and people were passing me left and right and making me feel stupid), but I kept going. I was hoping to get 3/4 of the way around this time. And I did....but I didn't stop. I pushed through all the way to the "finish line"!!! Now I know this isn't like completing the NY Marathon or the Peachtree Road Race for that matter, but it was a huge victory for me.

Random post...

3 comments:

Laura McDonald said...

Way to go Courtney!!! You have never liked to run. You are like a "runner seedling" with bigger and better things to look forward to.

Georgia said...

WAHOO!!! Way to go Court! That is awesome! I'm so proud of you and your determination!

Ashley B said...

That is something I just told someone recently-- I would love to be able to run-- I have never been a runner-- but if I could run even a mile I would be so happy- you have to tell me the trick--